SWA Airlines Captain ~ Former Naval Aviator ~ Speaker ~ Author ~ Hero
- Team Building
- High Performing Teams & Strategies
- Peak Performance
- Pursuing Your Dreams
Tammie Jo Shults was born in New Mexico, where she frequently as a child watched Air Force jets flying above her family’s ranch. This led to her passion to fly in the military…and ultimately becoming one of the first female F/A-18 Hornet pilots in the Navy, after overcoming several obstacles due to the combat exclusion law prohibiting women from flying in combat.
After Tammie Jo’s Navy career, she became a pilot for Southwest Airlines where she is currently a Captain. Tammie Jo’s calm manner, superb flying skills and “Nerves of Steel” were in full view as she successfully landed a Southwest Boeing 737 after an engine failure on April 17, 2018.
Tammie Jo’s newly released book “Nerves of Steel” is Tammie Jo’s story…from growing up, to flying in the Navy as one of the first women to fly the Navy’s premier fighter, F/A-18 Hornet, to safely landing Southwest Airlines Flight 1380 on April 17, 2018 and saving the lives of the passengers and crew.
Tammie Jo and her husband Dean, also a SWA pilot, live in Texas. They have two children and are committed to leading a faithful life. Tammie Jo is active in her community, teaches Sunday school at her church and volunteers at a local school focusing on at-risk youth.
HABITS, HOPES & HEROES Keynote
Tammie Jo provides a personal and insightful keynote as she shares that in addition to her faith in God, there were 3 things she discovered to be a big part of her ability to stay calm and focused on landing Southwest Airlines Flight 1380 on April 17, 2018:
- Habits – Habits inside the cockpit as well as out become instinct under pressure.
- Hope – Hope doesn’t always change our circumstances, but it always changes us.
- Heroes – Heroes don’t need a title. They don’t need equipment. They are simply people who take the time to see and the effort to act on behalf of someone else.
“If it’s a habit for you to do it in your everyday management, then it will be a practice for you to do it in crisis.”
Servant Leadership Keynote
Tammie Jo shares her motto of “Servant Leadership” with an aviation flare, highlighting her experiences as an airline pilot and sharing key leadership tips that led to a safe landing of Southwest Airlines Flight 1380 on April 17, 2018. The audience will learn these critical leadership lessons:
- Know your team
- Trust your team
- Value your team
Tammie Jo’s Ideal Audience
- Faith-based Events & Conferences
- Professional Organization Conferences
- Corporate Employee Resource Groups
- Leadership Conferences/Retreats
- Professional Development Programs
- Company Events & Conferences
- Colleges / Universities